Friday, February 13, 2009

Around the Horn: Friday (Evening)

I went to the Fort Worth Star Telegram's website today, and was greeted by this headline: "After bad winter, Texas Rangers ready to report to Spring Training." At first I disagreed. The Sheets deal fell through, sure, and there haven't been many thrills, but I wouldn't call it bad. Then I realized (thanks to Joe Siegler of rangerfans.com) that the Rangers have not signed a single free agent to a major league contract this offseason. Needless to say, I conceded my mental argument to the Star Telegram.

Breaking news from TR Sullivan: "Staying healthy is key to Texas staff." All kidding aside, he does point out the 14 different Rangers pitchers went on the DL in 2008 (not to mention cases like Hurley and Benoit).

Josh Hamilton thinks the Rangers can win 90 games. Good to hear that someone is more optimistic than Baseball Prospectus.

Hamilton also could "care less" about what position he plays. An interesting, but understandingly different, contrast to the Michael Young fiasco. Good to hear that he's not threatened or miffed by the Andruw Jones signing. Then again, who would be threatened by a guy who hit .158 and .222 the last two years?

The Rangers have released their Spring Training broadcast schedule. 5 games are going to be televised, along with 18 on the radio. An additional 8 will be broadcast online by MLB Gameday Audio.

Jeff Wilson has a report from Day One and Day Two of Spring Training.

FoxSports.com reports that Ben Sheets is shooting to be back by August. Of particular interest is this quote by Sheets:

"I think (the Rangers) have a good team. I was excited by the prospect of being near home," said Sheets, who is a native of Baton Rouge, La., and owns a home in Dallas . . . I can't say I ever felt great about doing that deal. But I felt for both sides it might have worked. They didn't feel the risk was worth it. They've got a right to feel that way. I wasn't mad either way."

He goes on to add:

"I'd be a good fit for teams making a run at it."

It will be interesting to see whether the Rangers "make a run" at Sheets upon his return, whether or not they are "making a run" at a playoff spot. I would think that Sheets pitching for the Rangers for two months would be a nice trial period for Sheets in Texas and allow him to get accustomed to the Ballpark and the team before next season.

13 days until Spring Training!

3 comments:

  1. Make a play on an undervalued sheets. Incentives galore. If you miss, he can't be much worse than what we've got, if you hit, you got an ace for a bargain.

    90 games? Really? I wonder if Hamilton can turn into the Ace we need because I'm more than a little worried about our rotation, Itd be great if we could find another usable pitcher like Matt Harrison...I'm hoping Nippert can be that guy, and then get a 6th for the inevitable Brandon McCarthy injury. At least he's totally better than John Dan...damnit. But in seriousness, my prediction is Vicente becomes our ace this year. He's got dirty stuff and hes playing for a contract. 15 wins and an ERA of 4.1 or lower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the Sheets thing. Give it a shot so we can have a shot in 2010. Did you hear about Adam Eaton? Pitched like crap the first time he was here, but we could have the opportunity to pick him up for next to nothing. Lonestarball.com has the link.

    Oh, and I will give you $20 if Padilla pitches that well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're on. Thats why we got him from Phili, only pitches well when theres money on the line and they got tired of it.

    Quite honestly, if Adam Eaton disappeared for the rest of eternity I wouldn't be upset about it. I wish we wouldn't have made that deal in the first place.

    ReplyDelete