Thursday, February 19, 2009

Around the Horn: Thursday (Night)

Just a couple of things of note out there today . . .

USA Today wrote a nice article about Michael Young's move to third base. Despite all the criticism out there about Michael Young, he has been my favorite player for almost his entire tenure with the Rangers. This excerpt reminded me why:


Although he originally asked to be traded, Young said his heart wasn't in the request."One reason why I wanted to come back is I wanted to see this through," Young said. "I'm going into my ninth year with the Rangers so when this team turned it around I wanted to be there for them. I want to be one of the main contributors."

Also of some interest, the Indians designated Andy Marte for assignment. Adam Morris of Lone Star Ball wrote:

You have to wonder if, as a Dominican who was terrific at the lower levels at a young age but seemed to have plateaued, he isn't really 28 or 29. At ages 18-21, while being young for his levels, he consistently put up 800+ OPS numbers, but simply hasn't hit in the majors (and, really, hasn't hit that well in AAA the past couple of years).

Why is this of interest? Nelson Cruz is also a Dominican with great minor league numbers and not-so-great major league numbers . . .

And TR Sullivan has some fun facts and quotes posted on his blog . . .

One week until Spring Training!

1 comment:

  1. who is this benson guy? is it a good move? did you see all the players that got one year contracts?

    ReplyDelete